New York Knicks’ legend Charles Oakley is free and clear legally after last seasons’ altercation and arrest at Madison Square Garden.
TMZ reported (via Bleacher Report) on Friday that the multiple charges against former New York Knicks’ great Charles Oakley, that stem from last year’s altercation at Madison Square Garden, have been dropped.
The charges that Oakley faced were assault, harassment and criminal tresspassing. Since he accepted an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, he had to stay out of legal trouble for six months in order for the charges to be dropped.
If Oakley didn’t accept the agreement, he could have landed in city jail for one year if he was convicted in a court of law.
“Mr. Oakley has been completely vindicated. The New York legend lives on,” said Oakley’s lawyer, Alex Spiro.
Unfortuantely, Oakley is still banned from Madison Square Garden.
Knicks’ owner James Dolan did say in February of 2017 that whle Oakley is banned, it’s “not necessarily a lifetime ban.” Then again, I don’t believe much of what Dolan says.
Hopefully at some point in the future, Oakley will able to attend a Knicks’ game at The Garden. In order for that to happen, he’s going to need to reconcile with Dolan. Good luck with that.